Remodeling your bathroom can be expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. With ingenuity and elbow grease, you can save money on tools and supplies and do some work yourself. Here are some tips on how to remodel your bathroom on a budget.
How much does a bathroom remodel typically cost?
The cost of a bathroom remodel can vary depending on the size and scope of the project. A simple refresh, such as painting walls and replacing fixtures, may cost as little as $1,000. A more extensive renovation, including new flooring, countertops, and plumbing, could cost $10,000 or more.
Can I make my bathroom remodel affordable?
If you’re not wholly gutting your bathroom, a remodel can be inexpensive and still give your bathroom a brand-new look and feel. If you are handy with tools, choosing to D.I.Y. can save you thousands in labor costs. Here are five ways you can achieve an affordable bathroom remodel.
Do it Yourself
One of the best ways to save money when remodeling your bathroom is to do the work yourself. If you’re handy with a screwdriver and hammer, you can save a lot of money by avoiding the cost of labor. Of course, not everyone is comfortable tackling home improvement projects independently. If that’s the case, ask friends or family for help. Chances are, someone you know knows someone willing to lend a hand.
Invest in Easy Installation Bathroom Flooring
When remodeling on a budget, it’s generally recommended to avoid purchasing tile altogether. Not only is tile expensive, but it also requires a lot of time and effort to install. However, if you’re set on tile, some easy installation options are available that won’t break the bank.
- Peel-and-stick tiles: These tiles have an adhesive backing that peels off and sticks to your floor. Peel-and-stick tiles are an excellent option for those who want the look of tile without the hassle of installation.
- Interlocking tiles: Interlocking tiles are another easy-to-install tile option. These tiles snap together like puzzle pieces, making for a quick and straightforward installation process.
- Vinyl plank flooring: Vinyl plank flooring is a popular alternative to tile and hardwood. It’s easy to install, durable, and much more affordable than either tile or hardwood.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring is another popular bathroom flooring option. It’s easy to install and can mimic the look of more expensive materials like stone.
Redo Your Bathroom Vanity Instead of Replacing It
If you find your bathroom vanity a bit drab, you don’t necessarily have to replace it. You can give your old vanity a brand-new look with some elbow grease and fresh paint. Plus, if your vanity is in good condition structurally, you can save even more money by simply replacing the countertop and hardware.
- Paint your bathroom cabinets: A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for dated bathroom cabinetry. If your cabinets are in good condition, painting them is a quick and easy way to give them a facelift.
- Replace your bathroom countertop: Replacing your bathroom countertop is another easy and affordable way to update your vanity. If you’re not ready to splurge on a new vanity, simply replacing the countertop can make a big difference.
- Install new hardware: New hardware is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to update your bathroom cabinets. Simply replacing the pulls and knobs on your cabinets can give them a new look.
Add Unique Bathroom Organization
If you’re tight on space, getting organized can be a challenge. But with creativity, you can find unique ways to organize your bathroom without spending much money.
- Mason jars: Mason jars are a great way to store everything from Q-tips to cotton balls. Plus, they’re inexpensive and easy to find.
- Hanging baskets: Hanging baskets are another great way to organize small items in your bathroom. You can use them to store everything from towels to toiletries.
- Over-the-door organizer: An over-the-door organizer is a great way to maximize space in a small bathroom.
Thrift Your Hardware and Fixtures
If you’re looking for a unique look, thrifting is a great option. You can find all sorts of vintage hardware and fixtures at your local thrift store. Plus, thrift items are typically cheaper than new ones, so you can save a lot of money by shopping secondhand.
An easy place to thrift hardware and fixtures is on the Facebook marketplace. You can often find great deals on everything from towel racks to light fixtures. Just make sure to clean the items well before you install them in your bathroom. Another way to save on fixtures is to ask your local hardware store if they have any scratched or damaged items that can be easily repaired. Often, these items are significantly discounted and can be easily fixed.
Planning and effort allow you to remodel your bathroom without breaking the bank. Use what you have, shop for deals, and do some work to save money. With careful planning and perhaps some elbow grease, you can have the bathroom of your dreams without spending a fortune.